Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Getting Over the Pain of Losing A Daughter

I met a lady who lost her daughter two years ago. I listened to her pain. She is a woman who worshiped her daughter, idolized one child out of 10. I had learned she had other children, younger but the one she had lost was causing her much pain.

This is a woman who is a mover and shaker in her community. She has a heart for the young and old, yet she found nothing to shake her out of her pain, to shine the light in her heart again.

I reflected on her other children and how they too were very much like her, movers and shakers. I wondered why this daughter was so special. Was it because she was her first daughter? The one who had been through thick and thin with, who had helped her to rear the other children when there was no father around? This daughter had replaced something in her life and it was draining the life out of her.

The other day she called me and she said, “I’m ready to live.” I said, “Good.” She said, “I realize that I have my other children (adults and grands) that I have neglected in my grief.”

That was good news to my ears. As I thought of the good news I glimpsed into how she might have come to this place in her life. I recalled the stories of how her children were everything to her. This is a woman that had sacrificed much for her children. At times not allowing them to learn the hard lessons of life but intervening even in their adult lives to save them at her expense.

This daughter had been like a husband, a helpmeet to her, raising the other children while mama worked, every one depended on her, including her but God was ready for her to come home.

Soon the pain will subside, the light will shine brighter, the memories will not sting so much and instead of seeing death as the end, it will be a new beginning. Until then I will continue to pray that she will stay connected to the living and enjoy the moments she has with her other family.

God has promised those who accept his plan and new life through his Son that there will be a future with him. Without hope there is no life.

Read more real stories real people at www.realstoriesrealpeople.blogspot.com

No comments: