Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Legacy of My Dead Uncle

His journey is over here on earth. He has fought the good fight.
Even the wheel chair didn’t diminish his strong presence.
A strength I saw and admired as a child.

I was always drawn to Uncle Sonny Boy, as I called him.
He had this way of smiling at you, even when you were mischievous; you didn’t know whether he was pleased or about to beat you.

Whenever he would come to visit at grandma’s house I never saw him without his smile.
I say “his smile” because no one smiled like him. He always seemed to enjoy those brief moments we had together: the hugs and say a few words to his nieces and nephew.

The best part of those visits: Him giving us change for change to buy cookies or candy. He was always generous, loving and kind…yet didn’t play.
Yeah, those were memorable moments.

As I searched my memories of him, it was always a pillar of strength.
And lots and lots of children. At least when you are nine, everything seems huge.
I remember him doing hard work. Even his struggles never changed that smile. And there were times I sensed there were troubles.It never diminished his strength.

As I have observed his life from girlhood to womanhood, there is no greater gift Uncle Sonny could have given then this: Watching his marriage, him learning, growing and changing gave me hope for my marriage. Commit and don’t quit on the ones you love, even when it gets rocky show love without using words.

Develop an attitude of gratitude.Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.
Radiate your environment with the light of love and peace towards all
So many great lessons from just observation year after year.

I will miss his smile. I will miss his presence radiating the light of love and peace.

Uncle Sonny, your life has not been in vain, I have been touched and inspired by your walk, your presence.

Sleep until we meet again.

With Love,

Your niece Blondie

No comments: